Reaver blog 4-getting ahead.

With the main body done only 3 tasks remain.  Head, crew and weapons. The head and 4 ‘human’ crew were done together.
image
image

The head is in 2 parts. Top armour and the rest. The rest is in several parts assambled using super glue very little weight sits on this part so normal glue is fine.  I pinned the the neck joint for extra strength.

image

To keep the top armour in place I used 4 magnets. It only needed some help to stay in place, so it was easy to use small magnets. They are 3mm x2 mm  disk neodymium magnets.
image

image

The top armour was painted the same as the rest of the armour,  but I had found a nice image of true messengers titans with bisected head colour so I went blue and white for the head. The symmetrical pattern is a standard design on imperial titans so it’s a nod to the old classic design.

The head itself is single blocky part with 1 panel glued on. To this are 4 pipes and the crew. They 3 crew were treated as individual  models for painting. The rest of the head was easy to paint.

The ‘eyes’ (multiple lense clusters’) are awesome parts. I really enjoyed painting these. In the kit is a perspex sheet to make the covers.  I have never seen a reaver that has used these and I did not break a tradition.
image

Once painted the crew were glued in and then I jb welded the neck in place.

The head adds so much to the model, the extra time spent paining it added to over all look.

image

Once done it was on to the mighty techpreist.  This is a great model this is almost totally hidden. But I did it anyway! Build wise, the techpreist is really fiddly. The arms are very fine with a small joint. The are so thin they bend while being painted. He was painted in the colours of my skitarii force from forgeworld world Gantz, home of my titan legion. My aim is to build a small force of admec to support the titan and for an up coming campaign. 
image

image

image

image

Next up the weapons. 

Reaver blog 3-Outer torso

With the legs done, it’s on to the main torso.  Parts wise there aren’t many,  but they are huge. The are a mix of large single plates and the hull. My aim was to paint them in bits then assemble them. I kept the white/grey as the primary colour, with the blue as the accent.

The hull is made into 2 large sections that needed painting.  The front has the shoulders, forward hull and interior. The rear has a solid block of the rear armour and back of the interior.

Assambling the front section is a mere 4 parts. 2 Hull and 2 shoulders. The shoulders were pinned with same brass rod as the legs. The jb weld was used to bind these. On to this are 5 armour plates. 2 shoulder, 2 cowl parts and a massive top part. The top hull is not be glued into place. The rest, due to their size are jb welded into place.

image

The beauty of these parts is i could work on them individually. This allowed the build to be manageable.
image

In between the legs and torso is a 2 part waist and this has (more) pistons. This was treated as a separate part. For the waist armour, I went with the blue. This increase the colours nicely balancing the white.

image

The main ‘block’ of the front armour was done in the same way as the legs, with armour in blue. I did the interior at the same time, but I added extra details to this as well.

Speaking of which, the sides of the interior also got done. They are odd parts but suprisingly fun to paint. The include the arm gun sevitors. These poor wretched creatures are great fun. They remind my of the film the chronicals of Riddick. All twisted and pained.

image

image

One issue I found with the airbrushed paint is that it is very soft. To combat this I used Vallejo matt varnish applied via the airbrush. This allowed me to ‘build’ layers were needed.

image

The trim took an age to get rights, largely due to the scale of each part.

image

The big rear section was built in 8 parts. The main back part is in 3 parts, then 4 void sheilds and the engine cover.

image

The engine cover and sheild generators were easy to paint, the big back section is an odd part.

image

It is essentially 3 different parts of the titian. The back of the interior, the engine section and the rear armour.

image

I painted the engine and rear section together. Once finshed I varnished it, masked it off and did the blue of the armour.

image

image

image

I also maged up the sockets for the weapon pipes and the carapace weapon mounts.

Once all the parts were done,it was back to assambling. It was all stuck together with jb cold weld for the strong bond. Next task is the head and crew.

Once finshed I added some detailing with the titan decal sheet.