Reaver blog 3-Outer torso

With the legs done, it’s on to the main torso.  Parts wise there aren’t many,  but they are huge. The are a mix of large single plates and the hull. My aim was to paint them in bits then assemble them. I kept the white/grey as the primary colour, with the blue as the accent.

The hull is made into 2 large sections that needed painting.  The front has the shoulders, forward hull and interior. The rear has a solid block of the rear armour and back of the interior.

Assambling the front section is a mere 4 parts. 2 Hull and 2 shoulders. The shoulders were pinned with same brass rod as the legs. The jb weld was used to bind these. On to this are 5 armour plates. 2 shoulder, 2 cowl parts and a massive top part. The top hull is not be glued into place. The rest, due to their size are jb welded into place.

image

The beauty of these parts is i could work on them individually. This allowed the build to be manageable.
image

In between the legs and torso is a 2 part waist and this has (more) pistons. This was treated as a separate part. For the waist armour, I went with the blue. This increase the colours nicely balancing the white.

image

The main ‘block’ of the front armour was done in the same way as the legs, with armour in blue. I did the interior at the same time, but I added extra details to this as well.

Speaking of which, the sides of the interior also got done. They are odd parts but suprisingly fun to paint. The include the arm gun sevitors. These poor wretched creatures are great fun. They remind my of the film the chronicals of Riddick. All twisted and pained.

image

image

One issue I found with the airbrushed paint is that it is very soft. To combat this I used Vallejo matt varnish applied via the airbrush. This allowed me to ‘build’ layers were needed.

image

The trim took an age to get rights, largely due to the scale of each part.

image

The big rear section was built in 8 parts. The main back part is in 3 parts, then 4 void sheilds and the engine cover.

image

The engine cover and sheild generators were easy to paint, the big back section is an odd part.

image

It is essentially 3 different parts of the titian. The back of the interior, the engine section and the rear armour.

image

I painted the engine and rear section together. Once finshed I varnished it, masked it off and did the blue of the armour.

image

image

image

I also maged up the sockets for the weapon pipes and the carapace weapon mounts.

Once all the parts were done,it was back to assambling. It was all stuck together with jb cold weld for the strong bond. Next task is the head and crew.

Once finshed I added some detailing with the titan decal sheet.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s