Project Gladius blog 9 armed to the teeth

Next on this long list of tasks was the supporting weapons.

20140419_193030

Forward heavy bolters.
These were fairly simple, just clean and assemble. I have decided to attach the mounting kits, but not the weapons or the cowling. The allows for some easier painting. The main ‘spindle’ of the guns was a critical part. You need to cut the core to fit, so be carefull, you make it shorter but not longer!

These guns will be able to pivot and the top scanner in free to move.

20140419_203929

Rear heavy bolters
Again these are simple case of clean and assemble. I have not glued them to spindle, so the can be raised or lowered. The assembled units will be attached to wings once painted.

20140419_204120

Hellfire missiles
These presented a small challenge. The moulding process leaves the excess resin tag running from the 4 jets. These leaves you with square block on the back of the jets. I have used my multi tool to round up the jets and put a small ‘dimple’ in the centre. This was done on all 6 missiles and I luckily had the right sized bit for process. The end result looks so much better.

20140420_125221

The mounting of these is quite clever and they don’t need any magnets or glue to hold them in place. This allows be the chance to remove each missile in game to remind me of how many I have left.

20140420_130119 20140420_130107

The weapon systems took me a while to clean and assemble, but it’s fairly simple stuff.

 

Project gladius blog 7 interior paint

Time to finally paint some of the thunderhawk! The interior is very detailed, but sadly the design means most of it is hidden. I decided to spend some time painting the while kit, despite the fact most of this work will never be sen other than in the following photos! I went for a grey interior, fairy utilitarian in nature. This scheme will be used on my storm raven as well. I used brass rather than gold for the trim, again to look more ancient but maintained, rather that a holy relic. The paint took a few days but it came out ok, them I re assembled the interior and gluing it to the bottom hull. Next step is the full assembly of the super structure and then filling in any gaps.

Copy of 20140224_203147 1394441854438 1393878638073 20140310_205006 20140310_204833 20140310_204820 20140310_204806 20140310_204759 20140310_204755 20140310_084925 20140310_084912 20140310_084845 20140310_084837 20140309_210340 20140303_202914 20140303_184049 20140303_184023 20140303_082149 20140224_203147 20140224_203118 20140224_074429 20140224_074412 20140224_074357