Unboxing the Macro Cannon

I have been given a Aquila Strongpoint  as a Christmas gift from my wife. she is very good at feeding my Plastic Crack habit and she puts up with my hobby like a stoic trooper.

the Opened Box

The Wall of Martyr kits are a break away from the normal GW work and they a a quick way to add loads of scenery into your battles. with the addition of the Strong hold assault book you can now add these to your regular games as part of your army. the ‘Aqulia Macro Cannon’ is the biggest of the kits and is HUGE! When I opened the box I was surprised by the contents and this is a real departure for GW. In fact it reminded more of a Forgeworld kit. you get 2 large bits, the Turret and the main building and 4 zip lock bags each containing a number of large parts. for a kit of this size it only has 56 part! it is worth noting that unlike normal kits you can make it in both versions (the turret sits over the Missiles) but you don’t get any other options! You can upgrade it by adding up to 4 heavy bolters, but you don’t get these in the kit which is a little disappointing.  the only decision is to add the steps or not. With the steps in place its a stand alone model. Without them, you can fit it into the WoM stuff. I have chosen the first option.  largely as I want to use it as an objective in games and thus the stand alone  option works so much better for me.  Also in the box are the Rules for both Layouts which is a departure for GW. Give away the Rules?  Its a nice touch I thought.

Main elements

the model is less assembled and more ‘clad’ in the external parts. The Wall has blank sides and you stick the panels onto this. you then add the Buttress and doors.  Sadly 2 of the antenna had broken on the Buttress, but this will be an easy fix.

Clading Bag 1 Cladding Buttresses

The turret and main gun are assembled separately and fit on the top with now glue required. this allows for the turret to be moved or removed to expose the 7 missiles below, converting it in to a Vortex Missile Silo.

Turret Bits

To paint this will be a challenge. Its hard to break it down to smaller than 2 big bits and it will a big thing to try to hold while painting. I am relishing this challenge and I can’t wait to make a start. Prep wise, the mould lines are virtually non exisitant and it took me about 45 Mins to Prep this for assembly.  Compare that to the Stompa, a similar sized model, which took a week of prep alone!

Side plates

All in all, I would say this is a good kit.  Fast to assemble, but challenging to paint. In games It will be a scenery piece more than a part of any army, but we have a few Apoc games planned for 2014, so it will get to fire in anger. With my Thunderhawk, it will be great to roll out 2 Super heavies!

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Sunday update 15/12/13

Sternguard squadWork has kept me very busy this week and next week is not looking so hot either. How ever I did get some of the work done. My target was to get the blue done on the 5 basic terms and the 5 sternguard. I did manage to get the base coat airbrushed on an started to layer up the first of the sternguard.

20131215_181140

For the loin cloth I decide to keep them black, rather than the normal white or cream for to reasons, the first is this was an idea that they mourn the deaths they are about to bring and the other, more practical one, was I can use the forgeworld transfers on them to avoid having to paint the icons. This turned out ok and add a nice level of detail.

20131215_181111

This turned out really well and I got so into the paint job I didn’t stop there. By Tuesday the first sternguard was done and the stared. Forward wind to today and 4 are done, inc the sgt!

20131215_181057

I had planned to blog about the sternguard kit at a later date, but long and short of it is

This kit is awesome!

You get so much stuff! To make 5 warriors, You get 6 chest fronts, 5 bolters, 8 combi, 2 stormbolters, 1 each of every special weapon, 2 heavy weapons, loads of heads, plasma, bolt and grav pistols, awesome power fist, the uber cool power weapon arm and 15 really nice shoulder pads. I will be using these bits for years to come, just from these 2 kits alone! The main thing missing was a decent back banner, but hey, you can’t have every thing you want.

Cost wise I was really impresses with sheer volume of stuff you get for your money. and It is some of best sculpting I have seen for a while.

Last week I said I would build them all with a bolter of some form. Game wise this is best for me, but I can’t help but love the heavy flamer in the kit, so when I build the next box, I may have to go off plan.

Next week the plan is just to finish the first 5 sternguard and base them and last weeks scouts up. I am going away for 3 days at the end of week so this will be a challenge to get them done. As Christmas is coming it going to be difficult to get it all done, but hey, christmas is coming and that usually means new shiney and the odd gw voucher!

I also managed to sort the #warmongersecretsanta out that I accidentally sent to France. I love the idea of the warmonger secret Santa and a massive thanks to phil at the the shell case forum for his great work. Its people like him and dr Bungle that make the warmongers on twitter such a great group. (And the many other great war gamers. It would take me ages to mention them all. )

Till next week, I see will you across the battle table.